Online Pre-Selection Phase
(from 5 April 5)
In order to take part in the #BreakTheFake Hackathon, you need to register on this website, form a team of 3 people, and develop an idea or innovative approach to an existing idea/tool/platform that aims to fight and address the issue of fake news and disinformation.
1. All teams must be composed of 3 members, currently residing in Southeast Asia, and have a strong commitment for change.
2. Team members can be business developers, programmers, software engineers, designers, and others. Students are welcome to apply.
3. All team members must not be affiliated with any company, organization, or a group that propagates fake news and false narratives in social media, online portals, or any medium and form of communication.
4. An eligible individual cannot join more than one Team.
- The quality of the executive summary, including innovativeness of the idea (originality and creativity) - 25%
- The feasibility of the idea, potential impact (the extent to which it solves the use case, scalability and user experience) - 25%
- How well the proposed application can be adopted by stakeholders that address fake news 30 %
- Team Complementarity in terms of skills & experience - 20%
- Executive summary (including experiences & skills of the team members)
- For the registration part, we will not request a working demo/video (with code repository). But for all the chosen teams, we will set a deadline for the minimum viable product (MVP) to be submitted.
- (Optional) Video of your team members during the building of your prototype. This is only for fun but we will use these videos to build up the next #BreakTheFake video clip!
Number of selected teams:
10 May (Jakarta), 15 June (KL), 15 July (Manila)
15 May (Jakarta), 15 June (KL), 15 July (Manila)
10-15 teams per location
Offline Demo Day (on invitation only)
June 15, Jakarta
July 13, Kuala Lumpur
August 17, Manila
The top 10 teams will be invited to participate in a Demo Day at their city to pitch their solution to a jury. The objective here is double: Display your solution's technical superiority in terms of innovation and relevance and convince the judges that it can best address the issue of fake news and disinformation.
The presentation format will be as follow: 5 minutes presentation, 3 minutes Q&A
Prizes and Agenda:
WORQ (Kuala Lumpur)
Solutions Space PH (Manila)
Pitch Deck + Working demo / Video
The offline Demo Day national winning team will be invited to compete in the Grand Hackathon in Manila, Philippines on September 14-16, 2019.
All national winning teams will receive a cash prize of P10,000 ~ $200, and will fly to Manila, Philippines to compete for the Grand Prize of P100,000.00
(14-16 September 2019)
The top teams from each of the 3 countries (Indonesia, Malaysia and Manila) will compete in the Grand Hackathon in Manila, the Philippines on September 14-16, 2019 and compete for a chance to win P100,000 cash prize, meet with other entrepreneurs and members of YSEALI Manila, visit local tech offices, receive mentorship, amongst many others.
The exact details & rules of the final hackathon will soon be released.